Futility

General discussion about the server and game
CyberAly

Futility

Post by CyberAly » 5 months ago

This project has been in the works for so long, do you think that it will ever realistically reach a playable state? Having NPCs is pretty awesome but then of course we need monsters, we need battle system, we need experience, we need job changing, we need gear, there's so much...

I know this site is for the server, not the project, but the project doesn't seem to have a forum so...

Foon

Re: Futility

Post by Foon » 5 months ago

I would say the equivalent we have to a forum is the discord, I see devs answering questions everyday there.

CyberAly

Yeah fair enough. I just prefer forums, call me old school.

paru
Site Admin

Post by paru » 5 months ago

A forum has the benefit of easily listing past discussions and answers, compared to discord where lots of people ask the same questions over and over. I guess it's also a bit era accurate, so you're not alone preferring old school boards lol.

But yeah, the all on the things you mentioned is what would be in a completed version of the project, it's just that getting there requires a huge amount of dedication to designing, implementing and testing features. Not to mention also organizing an open source project like merging other peoples work and making guidelines and such.

I think eventually, it will get there, seeing as the more popular the project and public servers get the more people capable of submitting work increases and the less time it'll be until it reaches a playable state. This is all very speculative though and it will most likely be a long time (years?) before it reaches an official "working" release.

But hey, the journey there can be exciting as well!

CyberAly

Oh I'm ready for the ride

AlexMer

Post by AlexMer » 4 months ago

I think it will at some point--of course it's likely to be years before you'd see anything comparable to a polished private server for XI or WoW. But hammered out enough where it's at least playable? I think so. Releasing the ability to actually fight monsters and gain exp, even if the monsters have really really low AI will do wonders to make it feel like a game again.

Then again I had fun just helping model clothes and try to figure out what they were with Paru like a year ago, so I've seen significant progress since then. You had to !warp to get anywhere and Gridania was prone to 'losing' players that logged in near the inn so no one else could see them.

White Cotton

Post by White Cotton » 4 months ago

AlexMer wrote:
4 months ago
(...)Then again I had fun just helping model clothes and try to figure out what they were with Paru like a year ago, so I've seen significant progress since then. (...)
Omg, Did you had to model the clothes from 0? I thought all that things would be on the game client data, that seems like a real hard work.

AlexMer

Post by AlexMer » 4 months ago

White Cotton wrote:
4 months ago
AlexMer wrote:
4 months ago
(...)Then again I had fun just helping model clothes and try to figure out what they were with Paru like a year ago, so I've seen significant progress since then. (...)
Omg, Did you had to model the clothes from 0? I thought all that things would be on the game client data, that seems like a real hard work.

It turns out Icon had already done the work on it haha. But it was still fun to try to remember what different models were called.

paru
Site Admin

Post by paru » 4 months ago

Yeah, Ion mapped out the clothing IDs a little while ago while I figured out weapon IDs from existing game data. It needs verification though.